Friday, May 16, 2008

Realization.

Came across [in my brain!] another reason why I dig on Japan.

You can add it to the list that includes *foreigners in Japan free of social constriction, *cool kids, *K1 and MMA on broadcast TV, and *socially acceptable ubiquitous alcoholism.

But, and as melancholy and angst-y as this may come off, I've always, wherever I've been - HS, USNA, the Marines, etc, etc [you know, anyplace there's, um, people...] - felt not quite normal and out of place. Not quite in the groove. In but not of.

But at least when I feel that way in Japan, that's how I'm supposed to feel. Gaijin and all.

Clears up some of that psychic detritus and friction.

This psychological insight has been brought to you by the number 1 [for self-centered] and the letter B [for blindingly obvious.]

2 comments:

  1. that's what i loved about japan when i lived there, too. in hs, i was japanese. in college, i wasn't japanese enough and not white american enough. in japan, no one cared. i was just a gaijin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding. We can create our own dysfunctional club. But no meetings. I hate meetings.

    ReplyDelete