Wednesday, February 06, 2008

And besides, if we get Clinton-McCain, I have to sit through yet another election where both sides continue to fight over who was right in Vietnam.

I've had quite enough of the "dirty hippies" VS "stalwart anticommunists," thanks. Clinton/Bush/Dole and Bush/Gore/Kerry and dealing with the Swift Boat Veterans for Baby Boomer POW Rhodes Scholar Texas Air Guard Truth... no more, okay?

How about we focus on things not happening 40 years ago in this election? You know, like Iraq, the economy, dwindling civil liberties and health care? Too much to ask?

[Besides which, I don't think Hillary can beat McCain.]

Balloon Juice:
"...So why am I then choosing Obama? A number of reasons, starting with why I am not voting for Clinton, and don’t think you should, either:

1.) Over the past few weeks I have grown weary of the Clintons, and weary really is the right term. They are tiring to the bone. Everything is calculated, nothing is what it seems to be, and they are just too cynical for even me... Everything with the Clintons is so recycled, so old, so tawdry. Yes, Hillary, I do need a change.

2.) There is nothing in the Clinton past that makes me believe they will end the war in Iraq, and additionally, I can see her engaging in military adventurism just to prove she is strong on defense.

3.) I don’t see her rolling back (at least willingly) the executive over-reaches of the past 8 years.

4.) I don’t trust her. I just don’t. Flame me all you want, but I think she has the capacity and willingness to be just as secretive as the Bush administration.

...

Why then, choose Obama?

1.) I trust his judgement. He has been using this to great effect during the campaign, but it is true- on one of the most important foreign policy judgements of my lifetime, Obama was right. This war has been a disaster, should never have been launched, the junior Senator was right, Hillary was wrong, I was wrong.

...

4.) I like the impact he has on people. I am a cynical bastard, but I really have enjoyed the fact that he really does seem to inspire people. I have somehow been immune to his charms (and mocked them), but I am not oblivious to the impact he has had on others. That is a good thing..."

1 comment:

  1. Think Obama is doing just fine NOW? I hope you and those who really thought Obama was an agent for change realize he's like Bush Jr.; retracting "what he said" with "what he meant" for the sake of his "ratings", using his family when in need of a percentage point increase (they've had quite a few vacations already!), and he avoids the tougher decisions (jobs) for a place in history (health care debacle).

    Wake me up when it's 2012. Hillary (and First Man Bill) would have worked hard to do even more (if the country would get off of this Dem. vs. Repub. mentality that Rove, Dean and Pelosi- Hillary Haters- escalated during the 2008 campaign. Besides, even Richardson would have made a decent choice, but Axelrod and his media contacts made certain that neither he or Edwards (good policy, but poor person in fathering a child and lying about it) were out of the picture. Coincidence? Wonder why the jury is deadlocked with the former IL governor? Obama had his hands in quite a few things as a state senator, but gosh- never mind that; what a great spokesman he is, and he's so new. He'd make a good president (sic).

    Like I said- wake me in 2012....

    Signed,

    A Saddened Democrat

    ReplyDelete