Saturday, September 15, 2007

Bowling + Pool... it's like I'm 16 all over again.



[Except, of course, I bowled better at 16.]

Last eve, all us disreputable Fukutsu gaijin invaded the local bowling alley en masse to partake in those most blue collar of American pastimes - bowling and pool.

Synchronistically, this week I watched a documentary called A League of Ordinary Gentlemen - it follows four PBA bowlers "after their league is purchased by a trio of Microsoft programmers who hire a Nike marketing guru to turn professional bowling into the next second-tier sports franchise." I dug it and recommend it, but I'm a documentary slut, me.

Sadly, watching it didn't help my bowling game any.





Anton... he's... special.





Where Jon goes, the alcohol flows.





Above, you can see Sandy trying to work some of that post-release death staredown hip action, which has been scientifically shown to raise her average a good 5-7 pins per game.

To our right, is Edem, a private ALT living in Fukutsu and this is his first exposure to our little gaijin enclave.

It only gets worse from here man... gambatte.



Above [you can't really see it] is the photographic evidence of Sandy's bowling dominance. After a paltry [and let's face it, somewhat embarassing - Hi Sandy! I love you!] 108 in the first game, Sandy dug deep and responded with a heroic second game of 159, to take the high game/high series/cutest bowler honors. [Okay, that last one is subjective, but this is my blog, so screw you, I can write what I want.]

Whereas I threw a 117/141, which falls into the "doesn't suck too horribly given I only bowl like 2X a year now" category. But it was enough to remind me of how frustrating the damn game can be. Hitting my marks even, just couldn't get the pins to fall. And it didn't help I left open 9th frames in both games...



Anyways, on to pool!

Where I promptly scratched on the 8 ball my first game.

Clearly, not my night.

Here, Kathy shows her concentration, whereas... and it's hard to tell... but it appears Sandy is simply yelling at the pool balls and telling them where to go.

Maybe.





Miyuki "The Black Widow" Martinez prepares to claim another victim.

Mike, below, exudes calm, cool composure.





Jon Vs Kathy '07! The Prelude to - The Brawl in the Pool Hall for it All!

"This is the true story, of two uber-competitive JETs, picked to play a game of pool, to find out what happens when people stop being polite, and start getting real. The Real World Fukutsu."





Jon exudes a "smooth" vibe above... while exuding something else entirely in the other pic.

It's important to note, I didn't take that pic. You can see my shiny head reflecting in the background.

Good times all...

No comments:

Post a Comment