Monday, August 21, 2006

Now I'm REALLY committed to this marriage.


In 9 years I've managed to lose one ring, and cracked the other right down the seam.

And I'm honestly not much for jewelry anyways these days - I'm well past the requisite "I'm finally out of the military and can do what I want" earring - plus I always have to take off any jewelry to train and spar... So the obvious thing to do was to get a ring tatted on.

The artist let me know that ring/finger tatts fade a lot faster than others due to the skin shedding and high use/rubbing. Very true. Only two weeks in and the bottom half is about 1/3 faded away. The top still fine though. I'll get it touched up as required.

And as to the obligatory "Man, when you get a ring/name/person tattoo that dooms the relationship! Won't you feel stupid then?" commentary, I can only say this:

First off, I usually feel stupid. And worthless and sinful too. I was raised Catholic after all. That's what it does.

And second, if Sandy ever wises up and kicks me to the curb, it won't be 'cause of a tattoo.

[And the honest answer is this... my few tattooes all mean something to me... this one, like a wedding ring, is symbolic of marriage and our relationship. If for some reason, in the distant future, Sandy and I do separate *knock wood* then it remains just that. A reminder of the relationship... the joys, the sadness, the high, the lows... Those things don't just magically go away, regardless of whatever your current station. But that's enough for now, as I'd hate to start waxing poetical.]

No comments:

Post a Comment