Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Why American Politics seems retarded...

WorkingForChange-BuzzFlash interview: Paul Waldman:
"The other extremely important thing that conservatives have understood and progressives haven’t is that politics is not necessarily about issues. It’s not about policy. It’s about identity. This is absolutely critical.

So what happens in every election campaign? The Democrat gets up and says: take a look at my ten-point plan. If you read my ten-point plan, I’m sure you will realize that my plan is superior to my opponent’s plan, and that’s why I want you to vote for me. There’s this belief that if the public can just focus on the issues, then the Democrat will win.

What does a Republican do in response? He doesn’t talk about his ten-point plan. He gets up and he points to the Democrat and says: that guy hates you and everything you stand for. He is a liberal Northeastern elitist. He’s alien from you. He doesn’t believe in God. He hates you and your values. And I am one of you."

No comments:

Post a Comment