Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Relativity

Suburban Guerrilla » A Sense of Proportion:
"There are only two proper responses to assholes of either gender: ignore them – or decimate them.

...I don’t shock easily. And I’ve been known to call people of either gender “pricks” and “cunts”; I’m a writer, not the P.C. police. Because I’m not now and have never been an academic, I use those words for colloquial shock value – and I’ll defend to the death anyone’s right to do so.

(“That’s the sign of a weak vocabulary,” my mother will sometimes say after I cut loose with some rather colorful expression. “Well, I certainly blew that theory to shit,” I say cheerily. )

In far too many parts of the world, women are still routinely raped, tortured and rendered politically powerless. They’re mutilated, murdered and deprived of legal rights – and it’s official policy.

While American female political activists and writers of all stripes are without question the subject of conscious and unconscious bias, let’s not lump ourselves in the same harrowing category as women who are subjected to gang rape, ritual genital mutilation or the slave trade.

We’re in a bare-knuckles, to-the-death brawl against the forces of fucking evil – and oppressive sexist language is pretty far down on my list of priorities."

No comments:

Post a Comment